Ingredients needed for preparation
- 1 Bag of Light Delight tortilla mix
- 1 Package of yeast (included)
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil or coconut shortening
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 1 cup of warm water
- Combine all ingredients except water, in the bowl of a stand mixer
- Mix until a fine coarse meal is formed
- On low speed , slowly add water and mix well until dough comes together
- Remove half of the dough from bowl
- Roll and form into a log
- Wrap in plastic , repeat with second half
- Let it sit for 30 to 60 minutes (this will make the dough less sticky to work with) or up to 3 day in the refrigerator.
- Cut 6 or 7 inch squares of parchment paper (two for each tortilla) for a total of 10-16 pieces of parchment paper depending on the tortilla size
- Cut dough in half and then cut each half into 8 ( for 5 inch) or 5 (for 6 inch) pieces.
- Keep dough covered while working to keep it fresh and pliable.
Whit rolling pin:
Roll between two pieces of parchment (or plastic wraps) to very thin , does not to have to be perfect round , concentrate on making thin.
With tortilla press :
Place a square of parchment in a tortilla press , flatten a disc of dough with your palms , place it on parchment , add a second piece of parchment on top close cover and press , turn tortilla and paper a 180° and press again leave the tortilla covered between the papers until ready to cook.
Cook tortillas :
- Cook on a medium – hot cast iron pan or griddle set at 400 °
- Carefully peel off paper from one side of the tortilla
- Place dough -side down on the pan
- Peel remaining paper off the top , after 1 minute paper will peel off easily
- After another minute ( for a total of 2 minutes on that side ) flip and cook 2 more minutes on the second side.
- Repeat with as many tortillas as you want to make.